Monday, February 7, 2011

Books I'm Loving

Have any of you read Ruth Reichl, the former editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine, before? A dear friend of mine let me borrow a copy of Comfort Me with Apples a few weeks ago, and I devoured the novel as one might their favorite snack. Her writing is witty, poignant, filled with fantastic stories and delicious recipes. I was sad when I finished the book - I never wanted it to end! I loved getting lost in her world, feeling like I was traveling along with her, experiencing new food and awakening my soul to new love. Reading her makes me feel like I'm listening to an old, wizened, adventurous friend. Needless to say, I loved her work, and immediately ordered everything else she's ever written.




This past week I finished For You Mom, Finally, and just this evening I finished Tender at the Bone (her first work). I realize now that I read them slightly 'out of order' - Tender at the Bone was her first work, and Comfort Me with Apples takes off where the first one left. For You Mom, Finally, is her latest work (I believe), and in between Comfort and For You she also wrote Garlic and Sapphires and compiled and edited Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet.

Do yourself a favor this week and pick up one of Reichl's books. I promise you that you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment